Saturday, September 26, 2009

Crock Pot Cornbread


Gluten Free Crock Pot Cornbread

So I made this over the summer when I wanted a corn bread that I didn't have to make in the oven. I also wanted it to be gluten free. My sister-in-law, Sally, has influenced the way I think about wheat. Anyway, I couldn't find any recipes for gluten free crock pot cornbread, so I made one up. It worked!

Ingredients:

1 cup finely ground cornmeal, preferably stone milled
2 teaspoons baking powder
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 egg
1 cup buttermilk
2 tablespoons mild flavored oil, such as canola

Method:

Add oil to crock pot and rub it around the bottom and up a few inches of the sides. Turn crock pot on high. Mix dry ingredients together, then create a well in the middle. Beat the egg in the well. Pour buttermilk into egg, stirring as you go, then stir the whole thing together until smooth.

Let it sit for a while, until slightly poofy...about 10 minutes.

Pour cornbread mixture into crock pot. Cook for at least an hour, probably closer to an hour and a half. The cornbread is done when it starts to brown around the edges. If you like a crustier bread, cook it until it is a little browner. Poke at the middle before turning it off to make sure it is cooked through. Run a knife around the sides and lift it out of the crock pot with a large spatula. You may need to cut it in half first to make it more manageable. Eat it now or cool on a rack.

No comments:

Post a Comment